Saving the endangered Greater GliderCommunity education program plus enhancing habitat and nesting sites to assist recovery in the Upper Burnett Catchment
Saving the Greater Glider project is a grassroots community education and habitat protection/restoration and enhancement project aimed at assisting the recovery of the species in the Upper Burnett region.
Greater Glider populations have decreased by 80% over the last 20 years and the quality of remaining private forestry habitats are now more important than ever.
Now classified as 3 x distinct subspecies, this project focuses on the southern Petauroides volans Volans. Through a series of workshops, the installation of living hollows & nesting-boxes, habitation monitoring & the development + distribution of educational-resources this project will assist the long-term recovery of Greater Gliders within the Upper Burnett catchment.
This project is funded through WIRES National Wildlife Grant Program.
The project aims to improve the presence, abundance, reproductive outcomes and recovery of the hollow dependent Greater Glider (Petauroides volans) listed as endangered in July 2022, having previously been listed as vulnerable.
At the completion of this project the greatest threats to greater glider recovery will be improved by increasing nesting-habitat & landholder education, to reduce clearing and improve retention of feed and hollow-bearing trees on private lands in the Upper Burnett catchment. Activities to improve knowledge, capacity & capability of the community include:
• Installation of living/carved hollows + natural timber nesting boxes
• Den Habitation Monitoring (wildlife cameras, thermal imaging + spotlighting)
• Development & sourcing of regionally relevant educational resources (incl. ecology, habitat, nesting-box design & installation)
• Workshops (incl. educational resource topics listed above + natural capital, environmental accounting, conservation co-benefits to agriculture, agri-ecology & biodiversity topics).
• Landholder & community education campaigns
Expressions Of Interest
We are excited to announce that over the coming year BCCA will be delivering a community education and enhancing habitat and nesting sites project, to assist the recovery of the endangered Greater Glider (Petauroides volans). The Greater Glider (Petauroides volans) is...